Find out about Canadian work permits, including International Experience Canada, the USMCA, and theTemporary Foreign Worker program.

Find out if you need a work permit

You may need a permit, depending on the type of work you will do in Canada. Find out if you can apply and how to apply to work in Canada as a temporary worker, business person and student.

Get a work permit


The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

More info